So at around 5:30 p.m. Eli's cast came off. He was just rolling around on the floor of his room playing and it came off. I was in shock, but I picked him up and went outside to get Jered. Luckily, we had an ace bandage and some gauze and so we wrapped it up as best we could. I talked to Dr. Woo's nurse and we are going to go in tomorrow morning at 8:00 a.m. instead of at 1:00 p.m. like we had planned. She asked me some questions about the wound and I asked her some questions.
People had told me that this could happen, but since his cast his been on for a week I figured we were in the clear. I had this whole plan for our appointment tomorrow. I wasn't going to look at his leg until Dr. Woo had taken off the cast and given me his word that it looked good, but that isn't how it happened.
To me it looks horrible, but normal if that makes sense. It just brought back a lot of emotions and makes me sad to think of all that my baby has gone through.
So now I am hoping and praying that Dr. Woo tells us tomorrow morning that it looks just how it should and all is well. 8:00 a.m. can't come soon enough...
his is why they do spica/body casts on the west coast. Im so sorry Kristina it sounds liek dr. woo is taking good care of you though. Keep me posted
ReplyDeleteOh yes, Paulina did that twice. After the second one someone from prosthetics came up and put a strap around her waist that attached to her cast. For her we had to rush back the firt time cause it was only a couple days after surgery and she also had pins and stuff, cause they had broken her tibia to straighten it. (it looked like a boomerang before) Like you I had no preparation for that first view and it looked aweful. It will look much better after a bath and some time.
ReplyDeleteYea, that happened to us too many times to count. The first time was when Emily was at daycare and we weren't even there. The daycare teacher called and said Emily's bandage came off. We got used to it and kept bandage supplies with us all the time so we could re-bandage when it came off.
ReplyDeleteMaybe it's better that you saw the wound now... It won't be distracting at the appointment. Hope it went well.
ReplyDeleteMartha
If Eli's wound looks good then you are doing great!! Emily had some trouble with excess skin around the would dying off and it looked really terrible for a while. If it had been in a cast that didn't come off we would never have known about it. As it was, we were able to wash her wound after the surgeon said it was OK and that no doubt helped the healing. So having a cast that is very secure and doesn't come off may or may not be a good thing. It all depends I guess.
ReplyDelete