So we had Eli's 4 mth check up yesterday with our pediatrician that we love. Besides the fact that he is "too big," Eli is doing great and we all survived his shots. I am stressed out that we were instructed to give him 1 oz less at each feeding and make sure his feedings are no closer together than 3 hours. Not to mention we were advised to begin to put him on a napping schedule, but that's another story.
The comment that really got to Jered and I was one that Dr. Wyatt mentioned about Eli's development. It went something like this, Dr. Wyatt was saying how it is important that Eli is not "too big" because it might affect his development down the road, and that since Eli will already have some developmental set backs due to his leg, we want to make sure his size doesn't add to the problems. Now he didn't say it exactly like that, but that is what he meant. He kind of caught himself and followed up with "oh, he'll be just fine."
Hell yeah he'll be just fine! Are you kidding me? Even his own pediatrician thinks he'll have set backs because of his leg? We believe that he will develop just like any other child. Why wouldn't he? He'll learn to walk after his surgery, just like any other child. His prosthetic leg will be all he knows, so why would that set him back? Jered and I agreed that this is just an example of peoples ignorance about FH and false stereotypes or prejudices towards amputees. Jered says that we better start getting used to it, and while I agree with that to some degree, I want to surround Eli will people that believe that he will accomplish anything that he wants to.
So I am not quite sure what to do. I am thinking of giving Dr. Wyatt one more shot, but I am quite disappointed.
What???? Kristina that is terrible!!! Not once, ever, have we had any negative feed back from our surgeon. Why on earth should Eli have developmental issues, what a load of bollocks (Can I say that?). On hat grounds does he think Eli will have issues? You do not need that sort of rubbish, find someone who will support you and be there for you. Our first child Emma was huge, she was almost off the charts in weight and she was only breastfed, now she is tall and very slim, this is what happens when they grow. To me from the photo's Eli looks like a normal healthy boy, and not once have I thought he was big. As far as I know babies can't overeat like us adults! They take what they need and that is it. Once they start moving babies tend to slim down anyway. I will email you some pictures of Emma, my little buddha!
ReplyDeleteThat wasnt approrpriate for him to say. But, our kids do have set backs, they get over the delays but yes, Logan didnt walk at 12 months he walked at 16.
ReplyDeleteWeight can be an issue with the prostetic fit. 1-2 pounds overweight can make a huge difference in fit. We really focus on healthy weight and nutrtion around here. That being said, Eli is a baby and babies have a little chub. He will losse it when he begins crawling, dont worry!!! I would suggest a new pediatrician!!!!Hang in there sweetie, I know this is so hard!!
Oh, Kristina. I'm so sorry you're hurt. I know that there are SO many emotions with having a child with FH, but let me try to give you a different perspective (please hear me in love). Being that Dr. Wyatt was our pediatrician for over 3 years, I have a good idea of how he operates. He was never one to be overly concerned about issues with our children. Because of that, if he did mention an issue, I was certain that I took note of it. I'm sure he was just looking out for your precious son. I had never thought about it until I read your blog, but I could see how weight could cause additional concerns with wearing a prosthesis ~ now i'm going to be concerned about that with Hannah :). For Dr. Wyatt to avoid discussing that with you would not be in Eli's best interest. And while our children will develop just like any other child, they will have obstacles to face that we've never had to encounter. I know for a fact that if Dr. Wyatt knew how hurt you are about his comment that he would be the first to sincerely apologize. Have you considered talking to him about it?
ReplyDeleteTara, What great advice, we do need to advocate always and doctors arent mind readers so they need to know when a comment is takend with offense.
ReplyDeleteTara, I wish i could leave a comment on your fabulous blog. Is there a place to leave comments? I have for months wanted to connect with you, what an amazing family!