Thursday, April 30, 2009

He will bring you through it

We had our pre-op appointment today. We first met with Dr. Clark, Dr. Woo's resident, and went over some paperwork. We got an x-ray of Eli's right foot and they gave us a copy to keep. The nurse weighed him, measured him and took his temperature.

One thing that I was not aware of, is that they gave us some soap and we are supposed to wash him with it the night before the surgery and then the morning of the surgery. We have to be very careful not to get this soap anywhere near his eyes or mouth. I guess they want us to do this to reduce the risk of infection during the surgery.

We are to call Shands Sunday night and find out what time we need to be there Monday morning. We were told that we should be the first case that day and that is what we are praying for. Dr. Clark told us that Dr. Woo has Eli's case and then a scoliosis case and that one is a 7-8 hour operation, so we should definitely be first. Plus, everyone has told us that they like to do the babies first, because they can't eat in the morning.

Then we went over to Shands Hospital and met with a bunch of people at presurgical admissions. We met with a nurse practitioner from anesthesia and she went over some things. This is where I lost it today. Not so bad, considering I made it 3 hours w/o crying. Anyways, we'll meet with the anesthesiologist Monday morning before surgery. Apparently, there will be two doctors in there with him monitoring everything.

The best part of the day was when we were checking out at Dr. Woo's office. The nurse brought us a package that someone had left for us. Inside was a ring that says, "If God brings you to it, He will bring you through it." A mom that I met at my post partum luncheons and saw last weekend works in the building and left that for me. I honestly can't think of a better gift. It means so much and I will always cherish it.

So that's it. It's happening. I'll try to post again before Monday, but if for some reason I am not up to it, please, please keep Eli in your prayers.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Praying for you all. Lets touch base this weekend, Im so excited for you that this long road is almost behind you:) We had to wash Logan with the microantibacteria soap. Kiss that baby, and great big hugs to you. I wish I loved there or at least closer to you, I know this is super hard.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please know of my continued prayers, Kristina. As I type, I'm listening to a song that says "Joy and pain, in sun and rain. Your love is the same. You never let go, You never let go..." God never lets go of you, my friend. I love the quote you received in that basket. What a sweet and very thoughful gift. I love you, my friend, and I'm praying. Call if you need anything.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kristina,

    Bonny told me about your blog and I have fallen in love with pictures of Eli. I will be praying everything goes well for you, Jared, and your sweet baby.

    ReplyDelete