Friday, July 23, 2010

Eli’s New Leg

DSC_0095

We are very happy – do you want to know why?

DSC_0066

Because Eli got a new leg! (Obviously the above pic is pre-haircut!)

DSC_0064

And, even more exciting, Eli does not need to have a lift in his left shoe!  How do I even begin to describe how amazing this is?

Let me start at the beginning…

Right when we moved to the UP Eli got very sick with the Croup.  He didn’t eat for 5 days and of course then lost weight.  As a result his leg was not fitting well and started to fall off all of the time.  Luckily, I had made an apt. with a new Prosthetist here even before we moved from FL.   We got in to see him about a week after we were here, and just when Eli was starting to feel better.  At first we thought he just needed an adjustment because of the weight he lost, but soon realized that the real problem was that the leg was too short; therefore, it was time to make Eli his second leg.

Our first few apts. with Eli’s new Prosthetist, Jay went pretty well.  He is very warm and really goes out of his way to make Eli happy and comfortable (i.e. he brings out toy cars, cookies, crayons and Handy Manny coloring books).  This is quite refreshing and something I truly appreciate.  I was amazed at how much Eli liked Jay, because usually he is shy and clingy at appointments like this. 

We only had one bump in the road early on, when Jay wanted to make a different style leg for Eli.  Basically, he wanted the leg to stay on with a sleeve that would have gone over Eli’s knee and up his thigh.  After about 48 hours of turmoil and emails to my I-CAN list serv, I got up enough courage to kindly have a heart to heart with Jay and tell him that we did not want that type of leg for our son.  That Eli was doing so well with the suspension style leg he has and we didn’t want to deviate from this style.  It was hard for me, I almost cried (cut me some slack, I am pregnant), but he was extremely receptive and open to doing whatever we wanted.

So all was going well until we had to the first casting for his new leg.  To say he freaked out would be an understatement.  I had to hold his arms and left leg down while Jay casted his right leg, and it was emotionally very hard for me (and E of course!).  I don’t want him to grow up too fast, but boy will it be nice when he is old enough to understand and not be scared. 

The next appointment didn’t fair any better.  We went in so that Jay could try on a mold for Eli’s new liner.  He had the same reaction as he did when we casted him and was terrified.  It’s these rare moments, that make me come home and cry and feel very angry that my baby has to endure this. 

So normally what happens is that Jay would make a test leg, we would come in again and try it out, and then Jay would make whatever necessary adjustments were needed before making the permanent leg.  Jay quickly realized that that plan would not work out, because Eli was just so traumatized.  He decided just to make the leg and then we would go from there.  If he needed to remake the leg, he was fine with that.  God bless him!

So we picked up the leg two weeks ago and it was good, but still falling off a bit.  We saw Jay last Thursday and he said he was going to make Eli a new leg.  We picked up the new leg today and so far so good!  After going to see Jay every week since early June, we are very happy to finally have a leg that fits great for Eli. 

DSC_0111

Eli’s new leg is on the left and his old leg is on the right. 

Jay had some major concerns about Eli having such a tall lift in his left shoe (hallelujah!!) and said that he was going to try everything he could to make sure that the lift was no longer needed. I tried not to get my hopes up, but was hoping for the best.  He explained to me that the type of foot that was used in Eli’s old leg took up a lot of space and that there were other “baby” feet out there that weren’t as tall.  Also, he said that he would try to set the leg down inside the foot to save space, and thankfully it worked out!  I am upset that my son had to have a lift for almost 12 months, but I can’t go back.  Thankfully, we are in a good place and the lift is now in the past.

DSC_0083

There are no words to describe the joy I have seeing my little guy walk around barefoot for the first time in his life – it is so amazing and I am so happy for him!

DSC_0103

He also can wear any type of shoe now and I am just overwhelmed with the cuteness of seeing his little foot in cute sandals like this! 

DSC_0100

I was extremely nervous about finding a new Prosthetist here, but we have been blessed beyond belief.  I am so relieved and thankful.

3 comments:

  1. I'm so excited for you! It's amazing how much shorter the new leg looks compared to the old one. The absence of the lift was the first thing I looked for since I know how much that bugged you. I can’t wait to talk to you to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a WONDERFUL blessing!!!! I'm so excited for you guys, Kristina. It sounds like you found a wonderful and caring prosthetist. Way to go, Eli!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. (and have fun with the new shoes!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete