Monday, August 24, 2009

The Making of Eli's Leg - Pt. 5


On Friday afternoon we got Eli's new leg and his shoes and the appointment went really well. With this new leg, Eli was to wear two socks; a thin sock like before and then a thicker one. I think the reason is because perhaps there is some extra room built into the leg for him to grow into and therefore, the extra sock is needed to make the leg fit nice and snug.

So after the appointment we went out to eat to celebrate. We were having a nice time, Eli was doing great and I was just beaming with pride and relief. Then...all hell broke lose. On the way home from the restaurant, Eli had a full out breakdown. Now, he has never been a huge car seat fan, and I kind of thought it was a combination of that and the fact that he was tired, but still - this was unprecedented. After about 10 minutes, the only thing that got him to stop was taking off his leg - then he fell asleep out of pure exhausation and I brushed it off as a car seat/tired issue.

Then Saturday morning we went to a music class and he just wasn't himself. He wasn't happy and he was clingy. After 30 minutes he was having another meltdown and I put him in the car seat to go home. Mistake on my part, because we both had to endure another complete breakdown on that car ride home. When we got home, I took off the leg and he was fine.

Later that evening, the same thing happened during our nightly walks (he LOVES going on walks so this was really upsetting to see). This time when I took the leg off, I noticed that his leg was burning hot. So after he went to bed Saturday night and I myself had a breakdown, I tried to figure out what the hell was going on. I felt so naive. Here I am, "Oh, things are great, blah, blah, blah..." Boy was I wrong. The only thing that was different, that I could figure out, was this extra thick sock. So yesterday I left the thick sock off and he did much better. No major meltdowns whatsoever.

Today I was at work and he was home with Brenda. She put both socks on and said he did fine, but that he didn't move as much. This is true, because ever since we got the new leg its like we are starting over again and he is acting like he can't crawl. But then when I got home he started to act all upset again and so I took the thick sock off. Once I did that, he was fine.

I called Paul today and made an appointment to go in again tomorrow, but now I just don't know what to do. Its so hard because Eli can't tell me how it feels and I don't know what I am doing here. I just have to go with my gut, and my gut tells me that that extra thick sock makes things too hot and it is uncomfortable for him. I am now hesitant to go see Paul because his plan B was to tighten the top of the socket so that the thick sock is not needed, but I am worried because I don't want it to end up being too tight.

At this point I am thinking, you know what, its okay if it falls off a couple of times a day - he is just crawling. We have an appointment for next Thursday anyways, and I am thinking I'll just wait for that appointment. I guess I'll make my final decision tomorrow after I see how he does in the morning.

He pulled up to standing on Saturday (w/o his leg of course). To be honest, it was bittersweet for me. Of course I was so happy, proud and shocked really. But it also was sad for me, because its like, yes he can do it, I see how strong and ready he is. But, now he has to learn how to do it with his leg and shoe on, and I just wonder how long that is going to take?

Speaking of shoes, another thing I struggle with is the fact that he always has to wear shoes - he can't be barefoot unless he is not wearing the leg and he is wearing the leg all the time now. I don't want to go on and on about this, because I know it does no good, but I will say that I am very upset about it.

Here are some pics of his shoe lift and his leg:

2 comments:

  1. Hey!!
    I can't help but leave a comment...I just so feel every frustration and concern you are expressing right now! Chloe was older than Eli but still at not quite 3 and then barely 3, communication was not a super strong point with us at that time. It's alot of guesswork at first, you are SO right!! GO with your gut! There have been many times that we thought something wasn't right with Chloe's leg, took her in and darn if we weren't right! So keep on doing what you're doing! He WILL get the hang of it, he WILL walk...keep reminding yourself of that truth. Chloe's leg broke for like the 2nd time, making it the 3rd time this summer she's been without it. Each child is so unique and what they do/want to do is different....if your prosthetist gets that then man, you are ahead of the game! Not every child has the same needs, etc. Hang in there!! I'm rooting for ya, it will get better...keep expressing how you feel, we'll be right here listening and encouraging!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. His prosthesis and shoe look great!
    In the beginning, whenever Hannah wore her prosthesis, she too had to wear her shoes. Being that she wears a brace on her left leg as well, she has to wear shoes whenever she has the brace on. She doesn't need the brace all the time now, so she's able to go barefoot at times. I know it's so very difficult in the beginning. Hang in there, Kristina. From my experience, it only get better from here :) Love ya!!

    ReplyDelete