Then Paul left for about 15 minutes and told me just to let Eli play and that he would see how everything went when he got back. Right after Paul left Eli seemed to notice the leg. All of the sudden he just sat there and acted like he couldn't crawl and started crying. I knew this might happen, my wonderful FH friends have warned me, but man it was way harder than I thought it would be. He mainly just wanted me to hold him and we walked around and I tried to distract him. He wasn't happy at all. He had a bottle and fell asleep, only to wake up screaming - he never does that.
So Paul came back, and he was happy that the leg didn't fall off. He took off the leg and was pleased with the red spots. He said its normal for there to be red spots on the sides of the knee (that's how his leg stays on) but that they should go away shortly after you take it off. He's going to make a few more adjustments and continue to work on making the length of the prosthetic leg as close as possible to the length of Eli's left leg.
I shed a few tears when talking with Paul at the end of the appointment and he assured me that kids do just fine with these things, that they adapt really well. I know Eli will do great, I really do, but I am just really struggling right now.
The plan is to go back next Thursday and get Eli's leg. Wish us luck!
I try to imagine what it must feel like, and the closest thing I can come up with, is when you first put your winter boots on after a summer of wearing jandels, at first it feels all tight and yucky but after awhile you don't notice it any more? Eli will get used to it, when you get your leggie to take home just put it on for a little bit at a time, and before you know it Eli will be wearing it all day!
ReplyDeleteOh, I know it's so difficult in the begining. But Eli will do great! Hang in there, my friend. He looks wonderful in his new leg :)
ReplyDeleteHi,
ReplyDeleteEli will grow accustomed to having the leg on. Ethan was worse about just wearing shoes!
It feels different to him. Believe it or not, maria dind't like wearing her leg at first. You'd think that someone who was almost 5 would want to get up and go, but it slowed her down from waling on her knees- thus she didn't see a need for it. After a few days it all changed, and she's never looked back.
Relative to how it feels otherwise, the prosthesis probably feels heavy to Eli. Give him time. Let him throw a fit if he wants! In time, he'll figure out that he needs the prosthesis.
-Jeff