Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Making of Eli's Leg - Pt. 1

Today we had our first appointment with Eli's Prosthetist Paul. I can't even begin to express how huge this is for us. We have been waiting to start the process of making Eli's new leg for so long. I think back to just the past two months and all we went through with Eli's wound and I just feel so thankful for where we are today - we have come so far!

So today Paul took a bunch of measurements and then did a cast of Eli's right leg. Everything was great, but the cast ended up being a little too tight and was super difficult to pull off. They ended up having to use a saw to cut the mold a bit and then they were able to pull it off. Poor Eli was super upset, but seemed to be fine once it was off.

The plan is for us to go back in two weeks and get Eli's temporary leg!!! There are three main parts to Eli's prosthetic leg (I'll obviously post pics once we have everything): the liner, the socket and the foot. The temporary leg will consist of the foot that will be on the permanent leg, a liner that may or may not be on the permanent leg and a temporary socket. Eli will wear the temp. leg for a few days and then we'll go see Paul again. Based on how the temp. leg fits Eli, Paul will make whatever adjustments he needs to make and then make the permanent leg.

We have to bring a pair of shoes for our next appointment - shoes!!!!!!! Eli has never worn a pair of shoes...I have never bought shoes for my boy...I am so excited :)

Here are some pics of Paul at work:

I have decided that a Prosthetist is one of the most amazing professions ever. Just imagine it..."So how was your day today Paul?" "Oh, pretty good. I made a leg for a little boy so that he'll be able to walk...you know, just the usual."

6 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! Brings back many many memories for me! Im so excited for you all. Big hugs to you all

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! Thanks for the updates. Eli looks so content there!

    Martha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so excited for y'all! Eli will be running around the house before you know it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What an exciting step for you all, it is such a big moment for you all! And yes before you know it Eli will be running!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is so exciting, Kristina. I'm celebrating with you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,
    Glad to see Eli is moving towards getting his prosthesis. The first one will not be very fancy, but it'll get him up and going. As he gets older (and there's more room at the bottom of his leg for components) his prostheses should get a lot more high tech.

    Wish you guys could have come over and joined us at the I-CAN meeting. We had a wonderful time! Maria was hoping you guys would bring Eli over, too.

    Staring: We had a great time in Florida. When we were staying in St. Augustine, Maria had to deal with some very excessive staring. One kid actually walked into me because he was staring so hard at Maria. It was weird, and really quite unusual. I'm hoping your airport experience with Eli was along the same lines. In the past 13 years we've never experienced anything quite like that.

    -Jeff (aka Maria's dad)

    ReplyDelete