Saturday, November 20, 2010

The last few weeks

Grace is going to be 1 month old tomorrow (I cannot believe it!), so before I record that milestone, I wanted to share a bit of how things have been going the past few weeks.

DSC_0155

The first three weeks of Grace’s life we had family here to help out with Eli.  My mom was here for a week, then my sister came and then my mother in law was here to help out.  It was definitely hard for me to not take care of Eli, but it gave me the opportunity to rest, recuperate and enjoy some special one on one time with this sweet girl.

DSC_0254

Eli had a great time with Grammie, Maggie & Oma.  He loved all of the attention, activities and playtime.  Slowly but surely he is adjusting to the idea of having a little sister.  The first week we were home he pretty much ignored Grace and acted like she wasn’t here – sometimes he did the same to me when I held her or fed her.  The second and third week he did better and started to acknowledge her more and even kissed her on the head once.  He also started to show some signs of jealousy when he wanted my 100% attention and I had to tend to Grace. 

DSC_0377

This past week was my first week alone with these two angels.  The thought of taking care of the two of them alone was a bit overwhelming, but I was really excited to be able to take care of my kids on my own.  Overall the week went really well.  I definitely do not have my routine down yet, but each day gets a little better.  I can take great care of Eli and great care of Grace, I now just need to figure out how to take great care of both of them at the same time.  It will definitely take some time for me to adjust to being a mom of two, and so right now I am just trying to be the best mom I can to my two loves while I get in my groove.

Eli has done so much better with Grace this past week. The best moment of my entire week was when I put Grace on her belly for some “tummy time” and Eli got up close to her face and just smiled and said “baby is crawling.”  He now likes to watch me change her diaper and even touched her knee, toes and eye (yikes!) tonight.  I know that he is going to be a great big brother to his baby sister.

Here’s a funny story – on Monday, my first day home alone with the both, after lunch I was feeling so good about how well our morning had gone that I even took a picture of each of my peaceful babes.

DSC_0338DSC_0340

No joke, right after I took these pictures Grace had her first blow out diaper and I just had to laugh out loud.

This past Tuesday was Jered’s 32nd birthday and he was able to take the day off, which was a huge treat for all of us.  We all like it better when Daddy is home.

DSC_0355

We ended up running a few errands with Eli & Grace which was definitely an experience.  All went well, but I realized that I am not comfortable having Grace out in just yet and also that I am not physically ready to handle both babies out by myself.  I’ve been having cabin fever big time and feeling guilty that Eli has not gotten out of the house, but we decided that I should at least wait until my 6 week post op check up until I venture out into the cold with Eli & Grace.

I’ll be back tomorrow with Grace’s 1 month post, but until then I’ll just say that we are truly blessed to welcome this sweet girl into our hearts.  I feel like our family is complete now that she is here.  She has already made me a better mom, and I just love her to pieces!

DSC_0386

1 comment:

  1. What beautiful babies, Kristina! I know those first few months with two can be difficult, but you'll find what works best for all of you. I know you're an amazing mother!! Try to get some rest!

    ReplyDelete