Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A Good Fit

The past few weeks we have had a lot of problems with Eli's leg; it would just constantly fall off. It got to the point where he couldn't even really wear it when he was crawling because it just wouldn't stay on. To say I have been frustrated is a complete understatement. Jered and I were both feeling so angry, hopeless and just down right sad.

Eli was just so used to it. When it would start to slip off, he would reach down and just pull the damn thing off and go on his merry way. If the fit wasn't right when he was standing, he would just put all his weight on his left leg and kind of lift his right leg up.

I have been telling Jered for the past few weeks that I can accept that Eli has FH, that he is an amputee and that he has to wear a prosthetic leg - I accept these things because I have to. However, I will not accept the fact that he has a prosthetic leg that doesn't fit right and constantly falls off - its completely unacceptable and it is disabling him.

So on Monday I took Eli in to be fitted for a new leg, and yesterday Jered took him to pick up his temporary leg...HALLELUJAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now this is what I am talking about folks! This thing fits like a glove - it goes on like BUTTER!!!! But more importantly, Eli has seemed to change over night. He is cruisn' on it so much more and last night I kept wiping tears from my eyes as I watched him go from one piece of furniture to the next - wow!

We still have a long way to go, but I just feel like a huge weight has been lifted off of my chest. Its a great feeling my friends.

I am supposed to take Eli in next week to get his permanent leg made. I think I am going to beg Paul to let us just keep this temporary leg, because it fits so nice.

Stay tuned!

3 comments:

  1. What wonderful news, Kristina! I know you are so very encouraged. I'm sure it does feel like a heavy weight has been lifted from your shoulders. And how amazing that Eli's going from one piece of furniture to the next!!!! I'm so excited for guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I glad it is finally all working out! Its been tough to fit ti correctly hasnt it! Hugs to you all, I cant wait to see the final one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, he's cruising from furniture to furniture!!?? Well it won't be long now. He'll be walking before long for sure! Great news!!

    ReplyDelete