Eli is doing really well. We saw Dr. Woo yesterday and he said that the wound is much smaller than it was last week. We are pleased with how he is healing and just have to be patient. We've been taking pictures every week and it is very reassuring to compare this week's picture with what it looked like last week. I am guessing that it will probably be another two weeks (if not a little bit longer) until the wound is completely healed. We have another appointment with Dr. Woo next Tuesday, and he said that depending on how things look we might go see Paul (our Prosthetist) to at least start talking about our time line with Eli getting his new leg.
So besides changing the dressing morning and night, we are pretty much back to normal. Eli has been very busy with trying to figure out this whole crawling thing. He rolls all over the place and loves to scoot backwards on his tummy. He has no problem getting in the crawling position (see above) and then rocks back and forth like he is revving his engine. It truly is the cutest thing ever. I am sure any day now he is just going to take off and then I am going to really have to start cleaning my floors!
In other news, my great friend Kaley recommended the company Patty-Cakes to me early this year as a great place to get some molds of Eli's feet made. Look what came in the mail last night:
Technically, there are two ways to treat FH - amputation or leg lengthening and ankle reconstruction. Ever since Jered and I found out that our baby boy had FH when I was 22 weeks pregnant, we knew that he would be an amputee. I am sure leg lengthening is a great option for some families and some cases of FH, but we just never considered it. The surgeons that we spoke to explained in great detail what "trying to save the foot" would entail. Besides the fact that lengthening was not considered a viable option for Eli's case, we just could never put Eli through that. He will have a better life, without physical limitations, with his prosthetic leg.
So for now, I look forward to Eli getting his new foot and when I want to reminisce about his sweet little footie, I have my treasure.
Oh, Kristina. Seeing that amazing mold of Eli's feet brings tears to my eyes. What a wonderful idea! I'm so thankful you and your family will always have that. Wow. Thank you so much for sharing.
ReplyDeleteI'm so glad he is healing well. I know the healing process has been slower than you'd like, but I'm so thankful that he's on the right track. What a blessing you guys are! It looks like he'll be crawling very soon!! :) Love ya!!
What a wonderful thing to have forever!
ReplyDeleteIm so glad to see Eli's smile is back and life is returning to somewhat normal.
Big hugs to you my friend
Hi Kristina,
ReplyDeleteThat's really good news! I hope everything continues to heal well for Eli. It won't be long before he's up and walking...
-Jeff Brantly
What a cool idea. The mold looks so cute! Regarding options for FH, our surgeon put it to us this way: We can amputate now and then Emily can get on with learning to walk and having a normal life or we can try to lengthen and reconstruct the ankle. Then when it doesn't work, we will have to amputate and all the pain and suffering will have been for nothing.
ReplyDeleteKristina,
ReplyDeleteI love the mold of Eli's feet. They have so much detail and are just so cool.
I can't wait to see you next weekend!
We did that too with Paddy, not quite as flash as that, as we did it at home with plaster of paris, and as I am not too technical when it comes to that sort of thing it took a few attempts:)
ReplyDeleteSo glad you are feeling better about things, Eli is so very cute, wish I was there to give him a cuddle! Before you know it he will be up and running!!