The likely cause is my high blood pressure - it is through the roof. It was fine during pregnancy and I have been taking my medication, so we don't know why this is happening. Its likely due to stress, even though I did not feel like I was under too much stress until I found this all out. I am doubling my blood pressure medication per my doctor's recommendation and doing the following things to try to get my supply back:
- taking Domperidone (1 tablet 3 times daily)
- power pumping (pumping for 1 hour 1-2 times daily, 10 minutes of pumping, 10 minutes resting)
- lots of skin to skin contact with my sweet sweet baby
- I was taking Fenugreek, but my heart has been racing all day and so I decided to suspend it for now
At this point I feel like this is the greatest tragedy of my life and that I have failed as a mother and a wife, but I am fighting those feelings on an hourly basis and trying to be calm.
I could look at the events over the last couple of months and really be negative and ask "why me?" Why did my baby have to have FH, why did I have to have an emergency c-section, why is my milk supply decreasing? But I choose not to do that.
Eli is perfect the way he is.
I am so eternally grateful that my baby survived his traumatic birth.
My milk supply will return; I will be able to feed my baby.
Hi Kristina. It is so hard to breast feed after having a c section. With Emma who I had naturally the milk just came very easily. I thought it would be the same with the twins, but I had to have a c section and it wasn't. Even with two babies going for it, and pumping all the time it still took ages to get a good flow. I know it is hard, you have all those crazy hormones racing around and it is so hard. I thought motherhood came naturally but you and the baby both have to learn. If breast feeding doesn't happen don't beat yourself up, sometimes it is just not meant to be. You won't love Eli any less! I know I used to sit on the floor and bawl my eyes out with Paddy and the FH thing, in the end things work out, the really do. Hang in there I am sure you are doing a brilliant job.
ReplyDeleteI was devestated when at 7 weeks, logan weighed only 7 pounds. I had to suppliment. I tried reglan(made me super tired), I tired domperion, I did fenugreek and blessed thislte I did it all. Here what worked, I supplimented! I think Logan got more formula than breastmilk, but he was breast feed for 30 months(2 1/2 years!!!) When surgery came, I pumped for weeks, getting only 2 oz each pumping, but I arrived at the hospital with 74 oz!!!!Its ok to suppliment, just also put him to the breast, a tablesppon of breastmilk is all he needs to get the benefits!
ReplyDeleteI wish I lived there to give you a big hug!!
Hi Kristina
ReplyDeleteI am Lizzie's husband John and I don't pretend to know anything about breastfeeding (although I've seen a lot of it and I know it's hard!) but my blood pressure is also high and I know these things will work themselves out. Trust me. There are a lot of people out there that you don't really know who are thinking of you so all the very best!
Yes, you have lots of love coming from all over! You're a wonderful wife and mother, so don't even worry about that. You're doing your best, and it will all work out.
ReplyDeleteTake care,
Martha